Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Making It, Homey



I consolidated my two storage units into one. That meant less space. So...I donated some stuff to a local charity for their auction and then I had to get crafty with my limited square footage.

I have a lot of artwork. I went to talk to Barry, the supervisor at my storage unit. Love him. I asked Barry, "Can I hang pictures?" From the look on his face I knew that I had crossed the line. I was embarassed. This wasn't the Barry I knew. The Barry that gave my kids unlimited mint pinwheel candies...even after I said that was enough. Twice. The Barry that chopped my lock off. No questions asked. I now wished that I could eat my words. Hang pictures. Jesus. What was wrong with me?

No expression was betrayed through those Scotch stained cheeks. Smugly and flatly he said, "Hang pictures?"

I thought...you know, I'm sorry. I thought we were friends. I get it. No pictures. I sheepishly tried to hide my decoupage hammer behind my designer jeans. Jeesh. Pristine particle board walls. That's a look. Somewhere.

Then Barry's lips parted...just a bit...and a smile rolled right out of those red cheeks. He said, "Nobody has ever asked me that before. Sure."




Think I'm nuts? When I was leaving somebody was bringing in a PLANT.


10 comments:

  1. Are all of these things in waiting for the perfect home? I'm just asking because I find things I want to buy all the time thinking I know this would be great for somebody's home. I'm starting to get a stash of my own. The bad part is I don't have an interior design business! And about that zebra rug. Is it for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in complete and total lust with the portrait hanging over the purple and white chair in the second-to-last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like you have the funnest storage space - ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great humor, awesome storage unit and eye candy galore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a storage unit that you can hang all your treasures in. You can just move all of that stuff on over. I won't even charge. Don't worry about Barry...you two can have coffee from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your writing style, eye candy and the humor!I have the girly hammer too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang...there is some good stuff in that storage bin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm sure the owner will be responsible and come water it weekly and bring it some fake light to keep it livin' on forever in that storage unit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best storage unit I've ever seen ! I hope it's climate controlled with all that good stuff.(Can you tell my family owns a storage complex ?)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you really think.